Tuesday 28 January 2014

My Trip To New York

With my university course we were extremely lucky to have the chance to go on a trip to New york at the start of this month, it still seems so surreal that I actually went there!
We left at 4am on Monday 6th January and got home 1pm Sunday, with a 5 hour time difference, its fair to say I became pretty jet lagged. The weather was freezing, we were there during the 'polar vortex' as they said on the news over there, it was around -20c wind chill on the first day but by the end of the week it had gone up to around 10c.
Whilst we were there we stayed at the Hotel Wolcott which was so close to everything! It was only about a 10 minute walk to the centre of Time Square. The hotel was very pretty and we had muffins and coffee for breakfast, I shared a room with my friend Grace, the room was spacious and had all you really needed.


Day 1 - Tuesday
On the first day we went to Macy's in the morning and up to Time Square, we didn't go for long as we then headed back to the hotel to go to FIT the Fashion Institute of Technology, whilst we were there we were surrounded by bottles of different scents and had a seminar about perfume, learning about top notes, base notes and more, it was only an hour long but so interesting!










Day 2 - Wednesday
We decided to go up 5th Avenue and look at all the classic must see stores which included Tiffany's and Saks, sadly I don't have the money to be able to get something from either of those stores. Can I win the lottery yet? We then headed up to Central Park and even went to the zoo there, we were gutted not to see the cast from Madagascar, however, we did get to see Snow Leopard cubs, they were stunning. As sunset came round we headed up the Rockefeller to get some snaps of New York from the top, it was worth the $27 that's for sure! Never seen anything like it in my life. I could've happily stayed there until dark but we did end up heading back down for some dinner.











Day 3 - Thursday
We decided to head out to Brooklyn, of course there was plenty of graffiti, even brands like Red Bull were creating graffiti adverts instead of just using posters. We went into several thrift stores, they are so much bigger and better than over here in the UK I swear!
We also found THE cutest store called Brooklyn Charm, being a crafty person who has also made jewellery in the past, I could've been in there all day long, I was in heaven. You could create your own unique jewellery pieces, buy pre-made pieces or just buy supplies.
Our lecturers recommended us to go to I Hate Perfume, they create scents but in a different light to perfumers, they want to create memories with them. They had a collection that smelt like different sweet treats, definitely my favourite collection of them all.
We then finished the day by going to the Brooklyn Museum and went to the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibition, it was by far the most interesting exhibition I've ever been too, the mannequins had projectors on their faces and they would sing and talk, pretty freaky at first look but so cool and innovative.










Day 4 - Friday 
This was our last whole day in New York! So we had to get plenty done.
We went to the 9/11 memorial grounds, they had created such a beautiful memorial in memory of all those lost, it was heart wrenching to see how many were lost in such an awful event. Roses were left in the names of those who's birthday it was that day. 
Afterwards we went down to go see the Statue of Liberty, but unfortunately it was so foggy we couldn't see it, we were gutted!
On the way back we got the subway to Grand Central Station, it was so cool to finally seeing it for real instead of just in the movies. 
Later on we stopped by outside Condé Nast where magazines such as Vogue and Glamour are created, so of course doing a course in Fashion Communication we had to stop by! I also did most my shopping that day as I had a rough idea of how much money I actually could spend on some goodies, of course going into Victorias Secret and Sephora. 
To finish our day we went out to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe, it had the best atmosphere and amazing food! Photos of that can be seen on my Instagram at alexhowe1995. 





On our last day we went to the Library and took in the last of New York before leaving around midday. We were so gutted to leave and the turbulence on the plane didn't make leaving any more fun!
The trip was so inspirational and had been a dream of mine for years, I never imagined I would have completed that dream at 18 years old. I just have to go back!

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. It is my absolute dream to go to New York and your pictures made me want to go there even more, I really ought to start saving up, is it sad that the picture I was most excited about is the yellow school bus, it just looks so retro and reminds me of Hey Arnold! hehe lovely blog you've got !

    www.whathopeshearting.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took an awful lot of saving for this trip! Luckily I got spending money for my birthday :) It was funny when we spotted it as so many of us were around it taking photos! The bus driver didn't look so keen. Thank you, I'll be sure to check out your blog :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog, I love hearing from my readers so feel free to leave me a comment and I'll do my best to reply if you want me too.

© Alexandra Elizabeth | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig